Located in the beautiful mountains of southwestern Pennsylvania, St. Joan of Arc’s roots reach back to 1877 when Mass was being celebrated in homes in Elliottsville, Markleysburg and Ohiopyle. Then, in 1902, a chapel was dedicated in Elliottsville as the Church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. This church served the Catholic population in the Mountains until 1962 when a larger church was needed due to growth in Catholic families and visitors.
A plot of land was purchased near Fort Necessity and an existing building was christened St. Joan of Arc Church. This served as the center of worship until 1981, when the present church was completed. For most of its history, St. Joan of Arc Church was a mission, first under the Diocese of Pittsburgh, and then under St. John the Evangelist Church in Uniontown, when this region became the Diocese of Greensburg. On June 16, 1993, Bishop Anthony Bosco made St. Joan of Arc a parish.