Baptism is a time of special joy and blessing. We are excited to welcome new members to the Saint Joan of Arc family and God’s family. Baptisms are performed by appointment. Please call the parish office at 724-329-4522 to arrange for your child’s baptism.
Parents are required to attend a Baptism preparation class. Please review the godparent guidelines below before selecting godparents for your child.
- Only one godparent is required per child.
- If two godparents are chosen, one must be male and the other female.
- The second sponsor may be a Christian witness, i.e. a non-Catholic Christian may fill this role.
Requirements for Catholic Godparents (one Catholic sponsor is required)
- The godparent must be a participating member of the Catholic church who has recieved the sacraments of Baptism, Holy Eucharist and Confirmation.
- The godparent can’t be the mother or the father of the child being baptized.
- The godparent must be at least 16 years of age.
- If married, the godparent must have followed the laws of the church regarding marriage.
Many parents are concerned that they cannot find a suitable godparent for a variety of reasons (being new to the area, unavailability of family members, etc.).
If the parent cannot find a suitable godparent, Father Petrovsky will help the parents with selecting a suitable parish member.
Adults are generally baptized through the RCIA process which involves a series of classes and rituals all leading up to Baptism. If you are interested in this process, please call.